Saturday, November 1, 2008

Trick or Treat...




The purpose of this post is not to get into a theological debate on whether or not "Trick or Treating" is evil. I'm sure you have an opinion but you will have to go to another blog if that's your intent. The idea that I want to talk about is giving and receiving. Give me some candy or I'll be mad and toilet paper your house. Should we give just to avoid making someone mad resulting in a negative outcome? Or do we give expecting something in return? Our society is centered on a mindset of whatever I give, should guarantee a good return for my investment (gift) in the end. "I'm not going to give them a gift this year for Christmas because they did not get me anything last year!!" "They only spent $20.00 on me for my birthday so I'm not going to buy them that $30.00 item that I know they want." What is wrong with people? When did we become so self-centered or selfish?

More than likely we have all felt this way at sometime in our life. Hopefully it was when you where a child and not yesterday. When I am able to give it leaves a warm feeling in my heart. Lord help me to give to others without expecting anything in return. The best way to get into that habit and way of thinking is to give to people when they least expect it. A month before their birthday (and then again on their birthday) for example.

Pray that the Lord will show us that is act of giving is better that the receipt of a gift. Who knows better about giving than our Lord who gave his all for us. Do we sometimes "Trick or Treat" with God? "God if you give me what I want I will serve you more; if you don't then I will pout and be mad." We have nothing to bargain with when it comes to God. He owns everything and he can do anything. God wants our love and he wants you to share the gifts he's given you. Let's start giving...

4 comments:

mommyz3girlz said...

Good one. We should all think about our actions like that when it comes to God. I'm sure we have all done that at one time or another. Interesting way of putting it. I'll have to tell that one to my pastor.

Donovan said...

Thanks Laura, I'm honored you would tell your pastor about something I wrote. :)

Jack

Jo Anne Felty said...

I am afraid there are a lot of times we try to bargain with God.
You always make me stop and think when I read your blogs.

Donovan said...

Thanks Jo Anne, my posts are thoughts that are currently on my mind. I pray that they do help people think about their relationship with God. I know I have to examine my life all the time.