Thursday, March 20, 2008

I wish I was there...




I was born in Lexington, Kentucky but when I was about a month old my family moved to Florida. My mother died when I was five and when I was nine my dad re-married and moved us back to Kentucky. I got married in 1976 and in 1977 we moved to Florida. After 13 years in the sunshine state with two children we moved back to Kentucky. Now we have been in Kentucky for almost 20 years and guess what? I miss Florida. :)

So why am I so hard to please? (Good question) Why can't people just be happy with what they have and where they live? It's kind of funny really, when I lived in Florida I missed Kentucky and now that I'm in Kentucky I miss Florida. I enjoy the different seasons in Kentucky but miss the beach in Florida. The truth is we seem to never appreciate what we have until it's gone. Enjoy what you have. Look for the good in what God has blessed you with. Trust the Lord to know what's best for you. Life is too short for regrets and desiring things you do not have. God can use you where you are. He loves you, he wants you to be happy. Love life, love family and love yourself. We don't know what tomorrow holds so do your very best to enjoy today.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Good post:)

I miss Florida sometimes too. I really miss the beach, but I am thankful that in Kentucky we have spring flowers, fall leaves and snow. I am also thankful for Kentucky because had we not moved I would never have met Geoff and I wouldn't have Ava:)

A little more than a month and we will be in Florida. On the beach...in the sun! Yeah!!!

Donovan said...

Jackie,

I'm thankful for Geoff and Ava as well. I am also thankful for Brooke and Ella.

I'm ready for vacation, I hope it doesn't rain the entire time we're there. (wait... be positive!!)

Dad

Brooke said...

I'm so glad God used you to post this message! It was very encouraging for me this week. For the past few months or let me be honest, for the past several years I have always looked to the next best thing that would happen in mine and Kermie's lives. I couldn't wait to get done with school to make more money. I couldn't wait to have a house. I wanted a better car. I want to be able to go on vacations and travel. And, the list goes on and on and on. I always try to remind myself to be happy with the things GOd has blessed me with because some people are just not as fortunate, but it is a constant struggle. This world is so materialistic and is constantly offering something that seems "better". I think a trip to a third world country would be great in order to get our minds in the right perspective. Beaches, vactions, jobs, cars... do they all really matter? I guess it's all about having balance in your thinking which I typically do not have. I should enjoy the things I am blessed with and not be envious or want the things I do not have. Gosh... that's so hard! Thanks for your uplifting post Jack!

Donovan said...

Brooke,

Thank you for your comments. You are not alone in wanting more. I'm not sure why we feel this way at times but I'm sure sometimes it's as simple as boredom. I believe as we obtain more of Christ in our lives other things will not matter so much.

Thanks again for your words as I know many will be able to relate to them.

Jack

Grandma said...

Jack,
Oh man did this hit me.......you don't know how many times I have said "I wish I was in Kentucky to enjoy my kids and Ava" Everytime I look at the blog with Ava, my heart is tugged toward Kentucky. I have taken on the scripture that Paul speaks to us in James, "be thou content in all things" When I think about that I can be content and God brings to my mind the blessings we have. I am blessed that my son has found a wonderful wife and her family loves him, and that my grandaughter is loved by so many people in her life. I could go on............maybe we will continue this on the beach in Florida! Looking forward to being with family.
Karen

Donovan said...

Thanks Karen, great comment!

Donovan said...

Karen,

I know it has to be hard to be so far away from your son and granddaughter. It won't be too long and you will be able to move here. I do understand how you feel.

Jack