Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A cup only holds a cup...



If you were a cup, what would be in it? If you were a cup, how full would it be? Our body and mind is like a cup, it only holds so much then it's full. If you are full of joy then there will be no room for sadness or despair unless you pour out a little joy. If you fill your mind with things that are pure and holy then there will not be room for things that are less than pure or evil.

"When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation." Matthew 12:43-45 These verses in Matthew tell us what can happen when we do not fill our mind and bodies with things that are pure. When I was reading my Bible one night in the bunk room of a fire station I read these verses. I prayed and said to God, "Lord I am not possessed by demons so what do you want me to learn from this." As clear as someone speaking audibly to me I believe the Lord told me that when a person becomes a Christian they are forgiven and the vessel that once held a lot of impure garbage is now empty. If you do not fill this vessel with the Word of God and things that are pure, there will be room for satan to enter in again and and fill what room is left with junk.

8 comments:

Jackie said...

Great post. I think this may be your best one so far.

Donovan said...

Thanks Jackie. This life story of the vessel has stuck with me over the years. I'm still trying to fill mine with things that are pure. Sometimes it seems like my cup has a hole in it. :)

Jackie said...

Ha Ha. I think we all probably have a hole in our cup:)

Gina (Nana) said...

Good post Jack. Its so true what we fill our lives with each day makes such a difference.Besides our bible I think the music that we listen to plays a big part in our daily lives. Sometimes just a song on k-love or a cd gets me ready to go in to work with a different attitude.

Donovan said...

Thanks Gina, I love K-love, the encouraging message and song is very uplifting and helps set the tone for the day.

Gina (Nana) said...

Jack
I thought you might like this web sight. It has alot of good reading on it .

Prime Time With God
cgimail@churchgrowth.org

Angela said...

Wow...that was an amazing post. I just saw your link on Jackie's blog and thought I'd check it out. I'm so glad I did. I believe it was a prompting by the Holy Spirit. You said exactly what I needed to hear today. I love it when God does that. Thanks for being obedient in sharing. :)

Donovan said...

Gina,

I checked out the web page you suggested: www.churchgrowth.org I like it! I took one of the tests and found it to be helpful. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Angela,

Thank you for the encouraging words. I want to be used by the Lord with this blog. Some of my posts are products of life lessons and others are just what I feel the Lord has laid on my heart. A few of my posts may be controversial but I never write without much thought and try to always back up my opinion with Scripture. God bless you and thanks for leaving a comment.

Jack