Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Rapture - Idea created in 1830? NO!!!



No indeed! The 1830 date for the Rapture Doctrine is debatable. I do agree that an increased interest has existed since the 1800's and as we draw nearer to Christ's return I believe that interest will continue to rise. A sermon by a Greek Orthodox theologian named Ephraem was discovered speaking of the rapture. He died before 400 A.D. Some scholars claim it is not the work of Ephraem, but of a later theologian who was influenced by him, and that it was actually written before 700 A.D. In either case, it substantially pre-dates the alleged 1830 date. Some people believe that the Rapture doctrine comes from a vision by a 15-year-old girl named Margaret Macdonald. Her vision was of a post-tribulation Rapture. She stated that the Holy Spirit would protect the Church through the Tribulation. Also, it has been said that theologian J.N. Darby around 1830 proposed the idea of the Rapture (or a pre-tribulation Rapture) and it was based on the alleged prophetic vision of Margaret Macdonald. Darby was declaring a pre-tribulation Rapture as early as 1827. This was three years before Macdonald's vision. Whether you agree or disagree with this doctrine the important thing to remember is to be right with the Lord. I know there are differing opinions on the Rapture. The word Rapture is not mentioned in the bible but the term being caught up is and that is where the rapture word came from. Whether you believe in the Rapture of the believers or not, is really not that important to me. I would like for you to come to the knowledge and belief of what Jesus did for you and who he is, but that is your choice. You see we all have a choice to accept or reject Christ, that's how it was meant to be. So if you believe in the RAPTURE like I do, then great, if you don't but still accept Jesus as your savior, well that's ok. If you choose to reject Jesus, it makes me sad, but again, it's your choice. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 "But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words."

So what do I believe the concerning the chronological events concerning the end times?

1. The rapture of believers
2. The great tribulation (7 years), the reign of the Antichrist
3. The Battle of Armageddon
4. Satan thrown into the bottomless pit, the AntiChrist (the Beast), False Prophet and the great whore (apostate church) thrown into the fiery lake.
5. New Jerusalem and new earth created
6. The 1000 year reign of Christ
7. Satan released for a short time (many will follow him)
8. Satan and his followers thrown into the fiery lake
9. The Great White Thrown Judgment
10. Believers live forever with Christ


3 comments:

Donovan said...

NOTE: I have deleted a couple of comments that I felt were inappropriate. The intent of this blog is to encourage not cause disruption among Christians. You may disagree with me and that is OK. My post was written in response to comments made to me in the past. Let us not argue over the Word but seek his wisdom and ask for understanding.

2 Timothy 2:14

"Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers."

Rocky2 said...

If it is proper to vet our political leaders, it is just as proper to vet our Bible prophecy teachers. We can start by Googling "Pretrib Rapture Dishonesty." Lord bless.

Donovan said...

Rocky,

I guess you're talking about the writings of Dave MacPherson? I'll stand by what I've written. Dave is entitled to his own opinion and I'm sure many will follow him. I will base my beliefs on God's Word. If I'm wrong I believe God will show me but it has been just the opposite. Don't rely on people like MacPherson, rely on God.

Take care and thanks for reading my blog.

Jack