Sunday, December 2, 2007

Helping others...






I have been fortunate to have a job that helps others for over 25 years and it is very rewarding. I was a firefighter and paramedic in Florida before moving to Kentucky taking a job in Emergency Management and Homeland Security. I have seen a vast amount of suffering and trauma over the years and being able to help save a life is what allows you to continue. I enjoy my line of work even though I have shed tears over what I've encountered.

We all have a purpose in life. You may not be a life-saver (and I'm not taking about candy here) but you can still offer hope to those who are hurting. Saying a kind word, buying someone a meal when they are hungry or just offering a smile does wonders for those who need help. I believe that whatever you do as a job, God can use you. What we do to help others is really all that matters in the end. It's not about how much money you have or how many toys you own. If we're lucky we may have seventy years on this earth. What are we doing with the years God has given us? Are we helping others with their earthy needs? What about their spiritual needs? Seventy years is really not that long when you compare it to eternity.

Time is running out...

3 comments:

Grandma said...

Jack,
We were recently reminded how valuable service people like you are to a community. When we were evacuated due to the fires and not knowing if our home was standing or not, God gave us great comfort in knowing he placed certain people around our community. Firefighters are amazing in their work to save a home and I want to say thankyou to all of them no matter what community they are in.
You quickly realize God gave you everything and the most important thing is to be thankful and share that with someone in need. We now have a great oppurtunity to share God's love with a hurting community. He is faithful in all things!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. May he bless you for all you do!

Karen

Donovan said...

Karen,

I appreciate your comments. Thank you for supporting my blog. God bless you!

Jack

Jackie said...

Nice post:)