Saturday, March 21, 2009

What did you do with my Mother?


We were at church and my Mother started feeling bad. I was 5 years old and I remember this day as if it were yesterday. My dad took my mom to the hospital. My brother (7 years old), my sister (9 years old) and I went with my aunt. Later we arrived the hospital and were greeted by our pastor. He said she is gone. I thought about what he said. We drove away and saw my dad crying on the hospital steps. My next recollection is in the funeral home. My dad and I went into the viewing room. There was a casket. We approached it and inside was a female with blonde hair (my mom had dark, almost black hair). I asked why did they dye her hair? Later... where did they take my mom? She was gone...

Life is short. My Mother was there one moment and then gone the next. She was 27 years old. I use to think I would die before I turned 27. I thought it would happen, but it didn't. Even though God is not finished with me yet, there is no guarantee for tomorrow.
We should live our lives as if today is our last. If we knew that we would die tomorrow, what would we do differently today? I bet we would at the very least make sure we are right with the Lord and we would spend the last hours with our family. Money would not be important to us, nor would be our "stuff".

I think we need to re-evaluate what is important to us. God and our family should be number 1.
As a wise person once said... "there are many tomorrows but only one today". But, what if there was no tomorrow... did you waste today?

2 comments:

Jo Anne Felty said...

I didn't realize you were so young when you lost your mother. I agreed we never know when our time is going to be. We need to make sure God is number one and love our family and friends as if today is the last day of our lives.

Rebecca said...

I agree with all of what you said! Life is precious and lots of times we take it for granted. I'm very sorry that you lost your mom at such a young age. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been on your and your family.

You're right...God and family mean everything! We are truly blessed!