Sunday, January 11, 2009

Being like Christ...



How in the world can a person be like Christ? I have heard this most of my life that as a Christian we are to follow Christ's example. The Savior Christ (the Son) is God as is the Father and the Spirit. We will never be perfect like God is. I have failed God so many times. I have failed my family and my friends. So is there hope for me or a person like me? Sure there is! We were not created to fail although we were born into sin with a sinful nature. Life is an opportunity to show God just how much he means to us. Do we love God more than the sin we commit? Fighting temptation to sin pleases God. But when we do fail, God is there to help us by forgiving us and giving us a clean slate to start over again.

What can we do to be more like Christ? I have listed some things that will help you to be more like him (Christ):


1. Ask the Lord to help you.


2. Ask the Lord for wisdom.

3. If you fail make it right to the best of your ability by asking God for forgiveness and anyone you may have offended.

4. Read the Word of God (Bible), this is how the Lord speaks to us.

5. Study the Word, ask God to reveal his Word to you.

6. Practice the Word.

7. Realize you are human and you will make mistakes. This is not an excuse to sin but if you do sin ask God to forgive you and to help you to not repeat your mistakes.

8. Forgive yourself. This is probably the most difficult thing for Christians to do. I know it is for me. God forgives and throws your sin into the sea to never be remembered again. Unfortunately we do not forget our failures so, learn from your mistakes and forgive yourself. God is not going to hold something against you when you have asked for forgiveness.

9. Forgive others. If someone has hurt you, you have to forgive them. Again, I know it's hard but it is something God has commanded us to do, just like he has forgiven us.

10. Spend time with other Christians; whether it is in church, a small group that will help you grow in the Lord or just talking one on one.

11. Give back. Realize that if you try to help others, this action will help you. Don't always ask for God to bless you when you have the ability to bless others by your Christ like actions.

12. Spend time alone with God. Ask him to help you. Tell him your problems (he is interested in you because he loves you). Ask him to open doors for you to help others by sharing what He has done for you and them.

I will be praying for you...

6 comments:

Grandma said...

Good post Jack it reminds me of the old chorus:

"O to be like Him, blessed redeemer pure as Thou art. Come in Thy spirit, come in Thy fulness, stamp Thine own image deep on my heart."

As we pursue Him, He will make a beautiful heart.

Blessings to you today
Karen

Donovan said...

Karen,

Great lyrics in this old song. That is indeed my prayer.

Thanks,
Jack

mommyz3girlz said...

Just got "caught up" on reading your blog. All great posts! I will continue to pray that your blog touches those that need it. Happy New Year!

Donovan said...

Thanks Laura for your support and prayers.

Jack

Anonymous said...

Glad to have a chance to follow!

Donovan said...

Thanks Dan, I appreciate you visiting my blog.

God bless!