Sunday, May 11, 2008

Jesus asks: Do you love me?




In the book of John, Jesus asked Peter "do you love me?" three times. Peter was hurt that Jesus kept asking him the same question. We know that Peter denied Christ three times, so did he really love him? Yes he did but he allowed fear to take control so he failed Christ when things got rough. Are you willing to stand for Christ no matter what? What would cause you to turn your back on the Lord? Would fear or sin in your life? Jesus asks, "do you love me?" Yes Lord, but I'm very busy today. Jesus asks, "do you love me?" Yes Lord, but I'm a weak Christian. Jesus asks, "do you love me?" Yes Lord, but... It's time to get serious about the Lord.

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep." John 21:15-18

2 comments:

Honey said...

Jack, the things you write make me stop and think...our lives should continually show our love for Him, which is sometimes hard. p.s. I've missed you at church!!

Donovan said...

Honey,

Thanks for your comment. We went to church with my son and his family at Southland Christian. They had a great service. I really enjoyed it.

Jack